Friday, October 21, 2016

Four-4-Friday


Rio Chama - Aragon Rapid


Having a layover day at the Aragon Campsite on September 2 afforded us not only the opportunity to hike up to the canyon rim, but also to test our paddling skills in unloaded boats.


After Evy and Benz had made two practice runs through the rapid, they kindly offered to let me take Evy's place in the bow of their well-trained vessel.  I jumped at the opportunity.  But first I donned my dorky helmet, just in case.  In the photo above, Benz and I have skirted a mostly-submerged boulder and are lining up for the meat of the rapid.


 All hands on deck!


 That's a smile, not a grimace.


As documented in these photos by Larry Grona, we emerged (mostly) unscathed.  Actually, the hard part was the many times we carried our boats from the end of the rapid back up to where we launched.

Note:  Click on any photo to switch to a full-screen slide show.

No comments: