Saturday, June 13, 2015

Saturday Paddlers - Guadalupe River



















The announced trip for the Saturday Paddlers had them putting in at Edge Falls Road and taking out at Nichols Landing, a journey of about 9 miles.  With the river running at about 950 cfs at the Spring Branch gauge, I decided that I really wanted to enjoy more of the river.  So I started a little earlier than the group and about 3.6 miles further upstream.  By launching at the FM 3351 bridge (Sueltenfuss Crossing) north of Bergheim, I would be able to enjoy the excitement of Rock Pile Rapid and Dog Leg Rapid, two of the best rapids on the Upper Guadalupe River.  As seen above, I pulled over just below Rock Pile Rapid to empty out the water that splashed into my canoe as I plowed through one of the standing waves at the bottom of the rapid.










A look back upstream at Rock Pile Rapid

Dry just a month earlier, Travertine Falls was now alive with water from a tributary creek pouring over it and into the river.


















I caught up with the group at their lunch break at Guadalupe River State Park.  After the usual snacks and a frozen margarita (or two), we proceeded downstream.  Miguel and several others paddled the short distance up Honey Creek to view the small falls there.











Limestone cliffs added to the scenery.























Terry, Margaret, Gayle, and I made a rather lengthy detour up Curry Creek.


















The waters of the creek turned clearer as we approached the falls, which were running more powerfully than on my two previous trips "up the creek."  Fortunately, we were equipped with paddles.



The other three adventurers turned back once we reached the shallow limestone ledge in front of the falls.  I decided to hike upstream to explore Curry Creek.

















A short distance upstream were several small pools and swimming holes, separated by tiny falls.


















I enjoyed the view back downstream towards the bend in the creek where the falls are located.

After a somewhat confusing loading of the boats at Nichols Landing, and after I was kindly transported back to my vehicle by Rod, nine of us enjoyed some food and adult beverages at Daddy O's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina on Highway 46.


Terry, Jeri, Margaret, Sandra, Joline, Jerry, Gayle, and Rod try to act like they are having fun at the restaurant.

Notes:  Click on any photo to enlarge.  To see all thirty of my photographs from this outing, click here to be magically transported to my Flickr album.

  

No comments: