Thursday, August 22, 2013

Three-4-Thursday

Aragon Redux

















Since I had such a great response to last Thursday's post about Mike's adventure at Aragon Rapid earlier this month, I have added three more photos of the carnage.  In the photo above, Mike approaches the key boulder, which is covered by the river.  The plan is to pass it on river right (the sneak route) or, failing that, squeeze between it and the large exposed rocks to its left (not seen in the photograph).  That second option leads one into a big hole and very large standing wave, i.e. the meat of the rapid.  The key is to avoid hitting the boulder itself, especially broadside.  Oops!


Purely for educational purposes, here is what happened.

















Now if only I could locate those photos from last year showing Mike really nailing this rapid. Perhaps they can be located and used in a later post.

Note:  Click on any photo to enlarge.

This is the 200th post of my blogging career.  The first was on Mother's Day of 2008.  It's been fun, I guess.
   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks like a great trip wit a little excitement. I hope I can make it the next time.